Portal Round 2 Entry Finished


So round 2 is finished, and we have submitted out Entries as of last Monday!

This overtook me for the month of January. Almost all consuming. MOre so as my idea and plans for the entry grew and grew! But the end result is one that I quite enjoy, even if it is a bit dark ( 2 high sides on a small base will do that ).


I did learn a lot on this piece, including but not limited to the placement of pieces. Proper planning ( or improper planning in most cases! ) on how to build a more elaborate base.


That some aspects of the base are better than others ( like the oil drum is great, but the signs might be a bit much ). But as much as it grew, I still kept to my original design. Something that in the past I would have given up on and gone a completely different route!


The final result though I have to say is a real bugger to photograph :) There are lots  of interesting things on it, but unless you find the right angle it will be a nightmare. Something that I hope will make people look at it further when in person, but via my photos it is not probably the best piece to show off.


And since he is entered for the Portal competition, which is solely online, this could very well play against me. I have also sent it off to Massive Voodoo's Bananalicious contest for their diorama category.. again where the photos can only say so much on the overall piece.


But win, lose or draw ( if that exists? ) I came out with a mammoth project within 3 weeks of prep, plan and paint. Which results in one heck of a strange little diorama.

Hope you all enjoy it, and if I am still in the competition, then let's see how I do for round 3.. and what the criteria is ;)

Thoughts? Comments? Or dare I say it, critiques for this piece?

Comments

  1. Fantastic rust effects ! Great vignette .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Capt. The goal was to make it look weathered.. guess I did that well enough ;)

      Delete
  2. Hola Amigo
    Que bueno si señor
    esos oxido magníficos
    en resumen una gran escena
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous work, on all accounts - skill, artwork and imagination!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully it is well received from the judges as well, and I can continue in the competition! But time will tell for us I guess :)

      Delete
  4. That is so weird - and awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I was able to get both boxes checked for this piece then ;) Weird and Awesome was my goal ;) Now let's see if it checks off the other boxes like high in Ambition, skill of painting, and application of the technique ( weathering! ).

      Delete
  5. Certainly a wonderfully wacky creation, but the weathering is just superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh.. thanks Michael.. was a bit out there for sure.. but if the weathering is superb then I achieved my main goal! :)

      Delete
  6. An amazing piece. Excellent rust and textures. It is let down by it's awkward shape. It doesn't seem to have a front or back but tunnels that you look through to see the interaction in the middle. I think you know this though. But I do like it a lot though.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forced perspective was intentional. I wanted it to have different angles to look at it from, and give it more of a story. Might not have fully worked ( especially in photos ) but it does make it more interesting when holding it :)

      Delete
  7. Mr Lee,
    Absolutely stellar job on the rust. I love that oil drum. It's pretty much perfect as far as weathering goes. This build up has been an inspiration, and I've been using your older articles on chipping medium to help me along on my ork walker builds, so thanks for that :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear Greg! Looking forward to seeing more of them progress then! And glad that it was useful.. as it was a real test for me when I first started to use the chipping medium.. and I think I have it figure out even more now ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts