Star Wars X-Wing game board!


So as an early Christmas gift to my son, we picked up Star Wars X-wing on Amazon when it was on sale. Mostly cause he is starting to understand what Star Wars is from kids at school, and was interested in it when at the Reading Warfare show recently.

And what father doesn't want to show off Star Wars to their kids!

But in order to play it we need a table. And the starter box works with a 2x2 foot board which just so happens to be what I have in MDF up in the gaming room ( for a long defunked terrain building project from the past ). So with that we decided to do a bit of Father/Son bonding over the weekend and paint up a gaming board for this game!


First things first.. need to get on some warm clothes.. and put on a respirator. So that we don't suck in any of those bad spray can gases that we will be using for this piece.


And the set up here.. a 2x2 foot board, black/grey/white spray cans, and thetable with some cardboard on it to save it at least a bit from being hit with the colors.


Help me Mr Lee.. your my only hope!


Laying down the start of it.. random shapes and styles with the 3 colors.. to make some areas brighter than others. I really should have just stopped here.. but I misted it with black and darkened it up too much at this point.


The shine of brown here is from the light reflecting off the wet black paint. But I still liked the direction that it was.. but I think in the later steps the whiter sections would have been a lot more helpful.

Now I read on line of how to make easy stars with aluminum foil and holes punched in them.


But poked is the key word here.. whereas me and the little Jawa sidekick here did more scratches and tears..


But we continued on.. and I sprayed it white..


At least you can see them here! But they are a bit much, and not exactly what we want to see here either... argh.. let's see if we can fix it a bit with the airbrush though!


Inside we tackle it with the airbrush and see what can we do with it. Adding some blue/red/purple/yellow etc... and more white and black in areas. All in inks from some artistis inks I picked up from the Hobbycraft store locally here. Cheaper and more powerful than say Army Painter washes, and cheaper especially than the Scale75 colors ( which are awesome but could run out of them on one board! ).


I like the overall direction at the end here.. but I believe that I need to bring in some more layers of colors to make them really pop out, and add more black. Much more black to make the others really come out.

But for a gaming board with my son at home.. and having the ability to hang out with him for an hour or so to build it up.. I think this was a nice little side project!


And now we just need to see how Luke will fair on it against the Evil Empire forces.. hopefully some games will be played over the holiday season!

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Comments

  1. Hola
    Bonito tablero si señor
    GRACIAS por el pap
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wohow very cool! To get those nice flaring stars you can also just use cardboard and cut a cross into it and then use the airbrush on it (similar to the foil).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. more templates and stencils could be used here.. but I just used the airbrush and tried some effects with it. Just need the background to be darker I think, and make all the colors more impactful(?) overall. Will see what happens when I get around to make a second more appropriately sized board though :D

      Delete
  3. A nice board. And a very nice step by step guide as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, though I do wish that the final version looked better. Needs more contrast! But learning for next time already!

      Delete
  4. The Force is strong with this one! Great job Mr. Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Was a fun activity to say the least!

      Delete
  5. Yes yes we totally now the only reason you picked this was because of Junior ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it was for Junior! Why else would I purchase it?!?! :)

      Delete
  6. That is great fun! What a lovely board! Just make sure all those rebel scum fall to the imperial might!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! Glad you like the board there! And I am sure once my son realizes which side Luke is on, he will take that side immediately. And then I will show him who his father is!!! mwuhahahahahaaa

      Delete
    2. Hahahaahah now that got me a good chuckle :).

      Delete
  7. Really a good result but most important: Having done it with your son must have been priceless.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best part of the day actually. And having him stick around for the whole thing also. Even if his ideas for colors were a bit off ;)

      Delete
  8. Great parenting at its best Mr. Lee! Hope I'll be able to get my future kid to like the hobby too.

    And what a sweet board, must make playing the game that much more fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roemers! And yeah, it was nice to spend the morning with Junior doing something other than Minecraft or TV. And he was eager to help ( for a while ) on the project as well! Yet to have the first game, but we are all ready for it now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts