Pages

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Japanese Ronin


Here is a piece coming from a Greek sculptor by the name of Stavros Zouliatis. He sculpted this piece up for his personal collection before putting it up for offer to get cast and sold. Again I was lucky enough to pick this up from him to get to work on.


Coming in 6 pieces total, and standing 75mm tall, this Ronin figure has a lot of nice details to play around with.


While chatting with Stavros about the model, he did state that one of his inspiration for the musculature on it was from Iggy Pop! I was a bit taken aback, but can see the resemblance a bit with regards to the chest section.


Though I am not sure if Iggy is as ripped as this Ronin is on the back!


I do like how the casting has made it so that each part fits perfectly to each other. And very little work was required to get it packed up ready for shipping.


Overall I think it is a stellar piece, and I am happy to see a small ground section included with the sculpt that we can include with the kit.


So the Ronin is standing 75mm tall without the base, and is now available from Mr Lee's Minis for 40 GBP.

Message us on the page, or email us at mrleesminis@gmail.com for purchase and shipping details.

Can't wait to show off my painting of him.. but for now back to prep for Duke of Bavaria!

Monday, March 27, 2017

Innuit Warrior


Another figure I have painted in the previous weeks. One that I was really happy with how it was progressing and got a lot of great feedback from some great artists throughout the community. People like Oleksandr who co-sculpted it with Bran. Or from Roman Gruba who has been pushing texture and color manipulation on models more and more recently.



So with those behind me, I really tried to push my painting to new heights with some colors and textures.



The back sections were really pushed further with adding such a red into the shadows of the blue throughout the figure. Something that I haven't done before, and should do more of. If I continue to do more showcase pieces. I really like how it turned out in the end, and hope to push myself to do more of this in the coming year if and when time allows.



The only place that I really did not like was how poor the water effects came out, but I was able to just cover it in snow to hide the mistakes.

Hope to take it with me to Duke this weekend coming up, and see how Roman Gruba likes it in person, or what I could do to fix or improve it more.

Enjoy the week!

Thursday, March 23, 2017

ECW Parliament forces


So a long time ago now ( 5 yrs? ) I had painted some ECW models from Warlords for a friend of mine back in Istanbul. No idea what he did with them or used them for.. but I painted them. I did not have fun with them back then.

For whatever reason I have started to paint up a full force this time and for myself even! I have to say that this first unit was the hardest slog of painting I have done for a while. And I will need to figure out another way to do it going forward. I think the biggest issue was the manner in which they are based. Being 4 to such a small base overall, so needing to come up with alternative methods to prep, paint and then move them to the proper base afterwards.


I really worked to make this as easy as possible and failed horribly in the beginning. There were lots of drybrushing throughout the process, but I do hope to fix it in future units.

Ground work was a pain, as I needed to remove them from other MDF bases, and then reapply them to the new bases in the right positions. This was trouble especially with the pikes to try to align them all up without crossing each other.


The only thing that I did figure out to work nicely was how to paint all the Pikes. Which was tac'd to a round socket, primed, and airbrushed. Helped to get a good coverage without stabbing myself with them attached on the models themselves.


When all finished though they do look interesting though. And I do want to see what this will look like when I get the full force painted up and onto the table. Transportation of it all will be a pain cause of the pikes, but I have ideas for that. Though I need to find a ton of very thin magnets to attach to the bottom of them to make this work. Something to find on ebay at some point I suspect.

My hope is that once I have moved house, and have a bit more space around to set this all up, I can plow through this army quickly enough to get them all done, and then have a few games with it at the club. Until then.. enjoy!
If you liked the post, become a follower, comment or email me at mr.lees.painting.emporium@gmail.com.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...