Pages

Friday, May 12, 2017

Undead Shamblers.. the paint WIP


Although it is coming together well.. we are still very much in the WIP phase of the project here.

But I am beginning to see how the piece will all fit together and see how the various colors are working in harmony in many areas.

Let me take a few steps back from the above photo though to show the progress overall however..


Last photo of the build for the base was seeing us with this. A multi-level base set for multiple models to sit on top of it.




With a bit of quick wet blending we see ourselves to this point. Where I now know that the brickwork is going to be an earthy brown/orange scheme, and the wood is going to be an aged white/blue scheme. A bit of color contrast in play here.. and some decent colors put together that I will then place throughout the models as well.


Same colors as the base, just taken up a bit further with the cream tones to make him stand out a bit further.


With him placed in front of the base we can see that there is continuity but also contrast between them. Dunno if this was the result of years of classes with the masters of figure painting.. or I just lucked out with my color choices this time around. Either way, they are shaping up nicely!


Moving onto the rest I still enjoy how it is all going together.. though later on I realise I should have switched the colors of the great sword and the crossbow guys. As the blue guy in front of the blue door and the orange guy in front of the orange wall don't work out as nicely... but the front man still stands out nicely and pulls focus so that is a nice thing at least!


After some playing around with the details further I got to intensify the brickwork on the wall in particularly to bring out some more light on the piece. The zombies also got a bit more work done on them before we began to add some foliage onto the castle wall/ruins there.




I don't have as many photos as I wish at this point as I was getting very much into the piece here. But I might have jumped the gun a bit also by putting them to the base already. Was a bit quick, but now I can see how they all fit to the piece however and how I need to tie them in more.

Such as with all the greenry on the base, I need to now work in that green color to the zombies themselves to tie them better into the scene. Also to add a bit more variation to the shadows as well with potentially some blues or violets/purples.

But now the hard part of the piece and one that I begin to falter at usually.. the details and finishing of the piece. To spend the time and effort ( and patience ) on it to get all the tiny details to really pop out better now on it.

From the base stonework, to the foliage, to the zombies, to the rust, to the door, to the small little insects that might get put onto the base even still. I suspect that the zombies are going to get pulled from the base to get some touch ups once I have an idea on how to proceed.. but for now it rests as is.

Hopefully the weekend brings some time for me to expand upon it further!

3 comments:

  1. This already looks fantastic, the warmer colours give it a nice Southern or Dungeon feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look a whole lot better for a splash of colour.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked the post, become a follower, comment or email me at mr.lees.painting.emporium@gmail.com.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...