Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

WIP... Dwarf Bust


Game plan here is like many.. start with some sort of color as a base, in this case an orange brown color. Later on I will see that this was a poor choice.. but it is only paint and thus can always be painted over.


Layered in some more colors with the airbrush. Again it is just basic levels, and too monotone for the colors overall.


And then I went into a really weird direction, and not one that I can say was for the right on it. The beard was too bright at this point, and honestly not the direction that I wanted this bust to go in. I wanted it to be a lot darker, older, and aged like the wrinkles suspect.




And that is exactly what I did. And I really began to play with the shadows on this piece. I did not like how clean it was before. But it is in a style that is not one that I have learned much in classes as it is mostly finding the appropriate main colors, and then using GW Washes to help filter and adjust the colors.




Definitely in a much better direction for me here, and I can go much further on the skin of course. But the darker beard is really framing his face the way I would like it to be. And now that I have a direction that I like on this piece, the motivation is quite high to push forward on it!

And once I get a bit further on the beard, I will be working on the metal beads. They will also be a bit dark as I don't want them to pull focus either.

Though the gash on his forehead is looking good.. and will need to play around with it a bit further to make it look like it is a bit fresh, a comment that I received concerning my Slayer Bust that I pained 2 yrs ago.

Let's see how it goes in the coming weeks.. but more focus on the Portal entry.. let's see how that goes ;)

9 comments:

  1. Koolio; I'm guessing the stages will include smoothing out the two-tone right ear ? It looks like a stark contrast compared to the rest of the model at the minute (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Lots of work to be done, but the direction is going along nicely now!

      Delete
  2. Tremendous, I love to see how you build up the layers, breathing life into the resin - inspirational stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael.. let's see how much further he goes then ;)

      Delete
  3. Awesome. Good call on the beard. It was too warm to begin with and was pushing his face back.Since this is pretty much about his face you certainly don't want that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Was far too bright compared to the skin. Maybe if he was a lot lighter skinned it might have worked.. but nah..
      Glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. Great progress Lee. I'd pay careful attention to the intersection of the base of the beard and the pilith. Right now they are blending tones together. Some glaze variations might help break that up. (I know you are still working on it, just thought I'd actually give some feedback instead of just gushing over your work :) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. Greg your always one step ahead mate ;) No worries about the plinth.. it has no colors on it ( except for Airbrush overspray ;) ). It will be dealt with after the other sections are finished.. I only blocked out the beard and face so far. More to come. :)
      But yes, this is something that I will need to pay attention to, and make sure they look suitably different :D Cheers for that comment and observation ;)

      Delete
  5. Hola
    Grande muy grande compañero
    Me gusta como lo llevas
    Estaré a tentó
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete

If you liked the post, become a follower, comment or email me at mr.lees.painting.emporium@gmail.com.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...