Mice and Mystics


So this is a new one for my blog.. a boardgame unboxing! Over the holidays I ordered a few boardgames from Wayland Games due to their extra 5% discount, and free shipping ( which is good since most boardgames cost extra for shipping! ).

Mostly I am doing this as I have quite a few boardgames coming from Kickstarters throughout this year. And again, this makes it better for getting me ( and the family? ) into gaming. Be it tabletop or boardgames.

With the first one, I figured why not picking one that is just straight up interesting. I mean, a boardgame with mice as the main characters.. have seen it shown up a few times in the past and thought it might be a good piece also since it can be played with 1-4 players. Also, since it has so few pieces to it there should not be any problems for painting up the game pieces quickly.

But here are a couple shots of the parts within the box itself.

First thing when picking up the box though is that it is quite a decent weight to it.

And when opening it, we can see that it is very full.

I am quite happy with regards to this as the cost of it is not terrible, but you always want to make sure that your money goes a good ways. More so with something like a boardgame itself.

But immediately the pieces feel of good quality. Will see how it goes in time, but at least initially the pieces and such are looking good.

Initially you can see the books and player cards. I think this is really cool that they have a rulebook, a scenario book, and the character cards. Takes some of the prep out of the game, and allows people to start up quickly if needed ( or if trying to show others or play with little ones ).


Then there is some clock thing.. and to be honest without reading the rulebook I have no idea what it is for. But I would assume it is a counter or count down for things to happen within the game itself. Apparently it is the story control board.. but I think counter or count down naming works nicely :)


But the best part is the game board pieces. 8 double sided game boards. And they are solid pieces here. After my Sediation Wars board game where the boards got warpped minutes from taking them out of the box. Not such a problem here though considering how long it took me to take photos and have a gander at the pieces fully. No warpage at the moment. But I am liking the pieces so far, and some of the designs.. won't show them all here.. but will in future posts.. promise :)


Really looking forward to play testing this later.. maybe even this weekend? If sime allows.


Some nice tokens.. Not quite sure how well they will be to punch out, but I like the designs on them all the same. Will have to find more small zip lock bags to put them in. Though there is a nice space in the box to hold them if required though.


Some nice cards. I think they might be scenario ( Encounters gives it away I think ), skills, items, etc that the mice can pick up through their adventure.


And a bag of models!!!! YAY!!!!


The bad guys.. looks to be 6 giant rat henchmen, 8 coachroachs, a spider and an earworm? Not sure how difficult they are, but I am sure I will find out soon enough. And with all the other boardgames coming throughout the year ( like Myth! ) I am sure I can bring in a few more opponents for the Mice to take on. But these should be fairly simple to paint up though, just need to think of a proper basing style for them.. probably something a bit earthy but will see.


These guys are looking pretty cool though. Medival Mice adventurers! I am really looking forward to painting them up.

Now the only question is when will I get the chance to paint them? Though considering how few pieces they are, they might make it up ahead of the line a bit. More so to get in a game or 2 and see how well it plays out.

But so far the game is looking pretty cool just from the contents. Looking forward to this one quite a bit actually.

Anyone out there played it before? Have any advice? :) Cheers for now!

Comments

  1. That looks like a good game with oads of stuff in it. The rats look pretty cool, that earworm thingy is strange and the mice are so cute.

    I've been gone for quite some time and have only posted twice in two months. I noticed that you weren't posting either and was wondering if you'd made the move the the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. And yeah, it is looking nice so far.
      We did indeed move to the UK. Expect a post or 2 on that soon, but I am still trying to get all settled in first... still so much to get finished around here.

      Delete
  2. Yea, looks like a great game. Let us know how it plays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just waiting for some time to sit down and give it a go! Am hoping this weekend! Will post up more once i do, you can bet on that!

      Delete
  3. Great looking game. I shall certainly look forward to hearing your thoughts once you've had a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to getting in a game with it as well.. thanks for looking!

      Delete
  4. Very cool miniatures :-)
    A gaming report would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming up soon mate.. am hoping it plays as nicely as it looks!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The miniatures that come with it are really cool.. am looking forward to painting them. .but need to figure out a suitable base style for them first :)

      Delete
  6. We've started a game, but not finished one! It comes in story based "chapters", and you can carry over progress from one to the next. You'll need dining room table space, not coffee table space - and it is a long afternoon game, at least while you're learning the rules. Having an hour or two free in an evening won't cut it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very good information there! I was hoping to get in a quick game to test it out, but now i will put aside a more decent amount of time to play it. As for size of a table, I have a decent sized gaming table to play it on. Should be ok there ;) but the dining table might come in handy with other guests though :)

      Delete
  7. I love the game and have even painted some of the hero mice. Nice thing for me is that non-gamer Mrs Von D is happy to play it also.

    We did get a rule wrong to start with and found the game too hard. I think we were rolling defence dice for the bad guys even when we hadn't scored a hit on them and it resulted in the cheese wheel filling up too fast.

    I'm really hoping to play it more this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts