Look.. see.. he has an axe now! It is really coming together now! Woo hoo!!!!
Been working on this model for over a month now, and am finally getting to a point where I am really happy with the overall look and feel for it. Which is good since I have only 2 more weeks until I take it to Izmir and deliver it to my good friend BuRock!
Though this past weekend has been crazy busy with some pre-moving packing prep, I still had the chance to sit down a bit and finish it off. very happy with that!
Though the first hurdle was getting the axe head to stay on the model! For some reason it just was not sticking, even with both super glue and accelerator! After some more rejigging, and some putty, and more super glue and accelerator.. it is finally stuck on. Thought the connection point is not the greatest, and it is a bit shiny still.. so will have to correct that soon!
Painting this up was interesting. It has some really nice details, cracks, etc on it, but I was not fully sure on how I would tackle it.
I started with some wet/wet styling to get the main sketch done up. Using the main color from the Black set from Andrea, but using their first shadow as a base. Then working down to the other 2 shadows. Adding some Deep Sea Blue here and there. Highlights were with the base + Medium Sea Grey from Vallejo Model range.
Though I was having a difficulty to get the edging to really work for me, that and I was getting bored trying to highlight all the edges to begin with. So I went old school and just drybrushed it. Yup, you heard me.. I dryrbushed it. Took a bigger brush, loaded it with paint, dried it off, and did a big sweeping motion over the stonework to hit the edges. Then I tackled a few o them with the smaller brush to clean it up a bit.
Aside from the extreme close ups of the stonework showing some of the drybrush work, I think that it really works. Especially when I began to do some thin washes of green and grey and black to the shadows once more.
It can use some more work of course, but will see how it looks once I begin to touch up and finish the metal sections, and touch up the wood parts a bit more. Especially closest to the rope area.
Have to say I would think that this is about 90% finished for me at this point.. Small little bits left to tidy up, and then transferring it to the socket that I have set aside for it. Will see how far I get on this next week when I am back in Istanbul and have a chance to work on it. Until then though... enjoy the week as I look for a residence in UK!!! Enjoy!