So a long time ago now ( 5 yrs? ) I had painted some ECW models from Warlords for a friend of mine back in Istanbul. No idea what he did with them or used them for.. but I painted them. I did not have fun with them back then.
For whatever reason I have started to paint up a full force this time and for myself even! I have to say that this first unit was the hardest slog of painting I have done for a while. And I will need to figure out another way to do it going forward. I think the biggest issue was the manner in which they are based. Being 4 to such a small base overall, so needing to come up with alternative methods to prep, paint and then move them to the proper base afterwards.
I really worked to make this as easy as possible and failed horribly in the beginning. There were lots of drybrushing throughout the process, but I do hope to fix it in future units.
Ground work was a pain, as I needed to remove them from other MDF bases, and then reapply them to the new bases in the right positions. This was trouble especially with the pikes to try to align them all up without crossing each other.
The only thing that I did figure out to work nicely was how to paint all the Pikes. Which was tac'd to a round socket, primed, and airbrushed. Helped to get a good coverage without stabbing myself with them attached on the models themselves.
When all finished though they do look interesting though. And I do want to see what this will look like when I get the full force painted up and onto the table. Transportation of it all will be a pain cause of the pikes, but I have ideas for that. Though I need to find a ton of very thin magnets to attach to the bottom of them to make this work. Something to find on ebay at some point I suspect.
My hope is that once I have moved house, and have a bit more space around to set this all up, I can plow through this army quickly enough to get them all done, and then have a few games with it at the club. Until then.. enjoy!