WIP Wednesday.. Portal Paint off Round 3 piece


Yup.. it is back! Although March/April was kinda quiet for the contest, it was mostly due to real life issues with the judges, and waiting for the results.

Seems that I won the last round with top marks ( huzzah! ) and thus need to continue with round 3... which I have mixed feelings about due to the technical aspect of the contest. This round is all about the OSL.. Object Source Lighting. Thankfully Volomir put up a great article about it, and refreshed it for us to review once more. So will be going back to that at some point.

But for now, needing to get the rest of the project off the ground.

The theme this time is Steampunk. Seeing a lot of that these days.
The base was originally Interior Design Victorian.. but we contestants complained about that not being the easiest basing theme to take on ( read that as I complained until the rest agreed with me :) ).
And the technique is as stated. OSL.
Oh and the Title, which I think I have missed the plot of once more, is "The way they live then"... you will see what I mean by missing the plot on that one this round, but whatevs right?

Now previously to starting this round, I had chatted with James from Infamy, and he had sent me one of the new Mole miniatures to use. Hence why I was not so happy when I found out the basing parts.. Why would the mole be inside??? Like really???


But that became a moot point when I ran into him again at Salute the past weekend. I had the chance to pick up the Black Market Infamy Tote bag. And inside there were plenty of great pieces available to use for this project! So many in fact that I decided on 2 of them!


New problem exists from this however. You will notice that they fit quite well size wise. I mean, really well! Too bad the robot is actually meant to be for the 28mm scale, and Sargent Crookes there is actually in 54mm scale :) Minor details though as I pressed on.

But immediately upon seeing them together I get this old victorian styled Bonnie/Clyde feeling from them. Be they good, or bad.. or just misunderstood here. They are a team of gun wielding lunnies out for a good time ;) Just as they were back in the day right? ;)




So from there, I built up a fairly simple alleyway styled base for them to stand on overall.

The plastic sections were the ones that I picked up at the local Railroad convention not too long ago there.

Simple and easy to cut up ( sorta ) and mixed together they gave a decent enough scene to me. Though I didn't just want a straight back section for it, so angled the back wall a bit outwards. Not sure if it was a smart idea, but seemed like it at the time. And gave the scene a little something extra :)



I then began to add some gubbins to the wall and flooring. The cogs on the floor to keep the steampunk feel ( cause everyone knows that cogs equate to steampunk.. duh.. ).. and then a grate, some pipes, and a sign. I even attempted to make it look like there is some exposed wooden beam on the wall.. not sure it came out as well as I had hoped though, and was not the best when it came to painting.


Quick shot of the base at the initial stages. I had attempted to discolor some of the bricks in the back to break up the monotony that existed within it. But when posting it on Facebook, I received a comment to do it. So obviously it was not enough! I have done more to it since then, but you will see it in the background of one of the photos below.. Metals, and wood sections were done. But the sign is still not touched. I am trying to think of a street that they might be on to write up on it.

Started in on Sargent Crookes here though of the 2 models. Mostly cause I was able to get the original artwork from James on what he was supposed to look like.


Pretty dark looking here, which is fine considering how far the base etc are heading already.



Immediately I began the primer job on them, and worked up a 2-4 layers of different greys as a base. I made a slight mistake on the back by not washing the model at all. And I think some mold release agent was stuck on the back jacket and behind his right knee. Both spots had problems holding the paint, and on the jacket gave an interesting texture. Something that I can work with, so not a problem, and also it will be partially hidden anyways once put together.. so I should be OK.



Color wise I began from the middle. Pulling out the entire blue range of Scale75 colors, and some white/purples to wet blend, scrape, etc on the police jumpsuit he has going there. It does seem to be missing something at this point, so I am going to have a look at it further later on, but I do like the direction of it, and I think it comes close to the artwork.





I am feeling a bit better of the model at this point though. With the addition of the dark browns on the boots and jacket there the bright jumpsuit is not so bad anymore ( though it helps I added some inks to the shadows like blue and purple again ).

Still lots of work to do on it, and roughing up of the jacket. Lots of nics and scratches need to be added here. More glazes and washes. Blah blah blah...


And finally a shot of what he looks like near the base. With the face begun to get roughed in a bit as well. And a slightly blurry sight of the base further, and how the bricks have been hit a bit harder with more colors to bring them out more. Hopefully I will get more progress on him further this week. And if possible even to have him finished by end of day Friday! But that might be a long shot as well..

Hope you like the progress so far.. and let me know if you had the chance to pick him up yet or not also? And if his helps or hinders your thoughts on how to tackle him :D

Comments

  1. The wooden beam looks wooden beamy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most excellent... then my job here.. is done ;)

      Delete
  2. Jeeeeez... Looks awesome so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate.. but much more to go still for it..

      Delete
  3. That look awesome. Like some steampunk, bobby, WWI german officer guy. I don't know, it just looks cool. Keep at it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zab.. and his futuristic robot to help him alongside everything.. Let's see how it progresses!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts