Never Mind the Billhooks - Yorkish army in the making

 

So thanks to an old friend of mine, and the local club mates getting me back to painting, I have picked up a 'small' War of the Roses force, with it siding more with the Yorkish forces. 

I say small as it is enough to run 3 full companies of units in a variety configurations. 


This was all assembled over a few days of pure cleaning, gluing fun while working from home ( one of the few upsides of Covid this year ). And lots of research on colors for the different forces, along with which commanders I would plan to have lead this rabble. 

I ended up with going for Mortimers Cross as the time/battle period, which allowed me to focus more on 3 main commanders. Lord Hastings being the main player. With Sir Croft and Sir Devereux holding their own forces to support him. 

The other thinking is that I can then also field multiple armies so if I were to get in games at home, then I would have enough forces to loan out as needed. 

Although this was a lot, I did get a bit of a start in on the Lord Hastings forces to get a feel for how it would be to paint up these models. 


 A simple force to begin with, but enough to start the game with. With the Lord commander, and his retainer on foot. 2 units of 12 Billhooks, 2 units of 12 Archers, and 2 units of 12 Men at Arms. A very elite heavy force as the Men at Arms cost just as much as the rest of the forces together. But hoping that they hit just as hard or harder when they get stuck in! 


I also got stuck in with some buildings ( in the background ) as well as ordered a lot of premade/painted pieces for playing with. Which made me want to paint the Commanders mounted! So we can see left to right; Sir Croft, Lord Hastings, and Sir Devereux. Each with their retainer and banner if available. 

Although I haven't touched much on it recently, I do plan to get back into it very soon. With the hope that after the Christmas period I might even get in a game or two.. even if it is just against myself or with dragging Jr into battle with me :D 

The ruleset we will be using is the one from Wargames Illustrated called Nevermind the Billhooks which was first published this year during quarantine. Fairly fast paced, easy going, and quick to learn. So I do have hopes to get in more than a few games with it in 2021!

Comments

Popular Posts