Review: Laszlo Adoba terrain books


So it has been a while since I had done the review articles ( or any articles here it seems ).

For this review I wanted to tackle a few magazine/books that I have been hoarding recently. The first 2 of the Let's Build a Diorama I picked up at Euro Militaire last year. And the other 2, Stone objects and Accessories I just picked up off of Amazon.

All I can really say is that they are all excellent books. Though quite intimidating, and of a different style of terrain building/painting. Much more realistic than some of the pieces and styles out there. And I am still working up the nerve to begin to use aspects from it!


In the first book of Diorama's 1.. here you can see a shot from it that shows off the different aspects of a war torn wall. The book goes into incredible details on how to achieve each aspect of his with step by step photos and text explainations.



Though I have not seen exactly where I can use this on smaller projects, it does make me really want to give it a go on a larger piece. Something with many pieces or models in play. But to build such a piece, and have the models fit as well will be quite an interesting trial for myself.

In the second book he goes into more about foliage.



And rocks.. but not just rocks from rocks or cork, but also from plastic, molds, self-made molds, etc. And how to work them to work for you. With a combo of painting, scratching, washing, etc to create different styles of rocks and finishes for them.

His last 2 books that I picked up are more about the smaller details whereas the first 2 were about the big picture ( kinda ).



Stones, stone ornaments, and fountains was the key parts for it. Including the use of water effects to make the fountains come alive. His techniques for weathering are nothing new, but the explainations can assist many with regards to how to apply them!

But his last book here.. the accessories book. WOWZERS!



Really dives into the details on how to create the interior details of old houses that have sat around, or even newer places that have antique furniture. Using clay, and balsa wood for the most parts here.

Mega wow part for me.. this photos below..


A full on old school cast iron radiator! Wow.. combined with the techniques from his diorama books ( bricks and foliage ) and probably some stone work tossed in for good measure if needed. Amazing right there with regards to the level of skill needed for it. But he breaks it down quite well enough ( and this is pre-3D printing.. but does involve some basic casting ).

Honestly.. just reading the books ( which is a common occurrence for me ) brings so much inspiration for me. But also fear and dread lol. Cause I know if I go down this route then I will be in a project for a long while, and although there is a good chance it will turn out good.. there is a good chance I will get stuck with it and the need for fast painting might take over. So hopefully I can overcome this fear, jump into a mega project that uses some of these techniques, and really make the most of the tricks shown here!

Anyone else have such books? Or books that they pull on for inspiration for future projects? Please share them below!

Comments

  1. Diorama people do amazing work but I have had trouble sometimes using their techniques in the context of wargaming terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part it is for dioramas as you said, though I believe the techniques for scratch building some aspects are transferable.

      Delete
  2. Wow...I can't wait to see what you come up with next Lee....your scapes were already really awesome! Now you've got even more knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief ! That looks like a whole lotta work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For landscape building everything related to model railways is great. Also a view on stuff from military scale modeling is nice, because often they present the models in dioramas and sometimes share how that stuff was done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts