Project Space Wolves: Wolf Guard

With that out of the way here are some Wolf Guards for the Space Wolf army. All decked out with Combi-meltas and power fists.


First thing to say about these guys is that I took a bit more liberties with the color scheme. They are slightly darker and more blue hued than the others.

Also since they are TT+ candidates, I went and did a bit more highlighting on the upper reaches. Spent a bit more time on them due to this, but I think it was for the better.

I have been feeling that this army has been missing something from the beginning, and it has been a bit of a slog to get through them. Now I can see that it was that they were a bit too "simple" for being Marines. And the lack of variation in the colors and light/shade on them was causing the inner artist in me to go crazy!

Although not the best photos, hopefully the work on the faces can be seen here. Spent a bit more experimenting on how to do the highlights and features here better. Really making the facial features pop as much as I could for it. The faces here were the initial tests before yesterday's group. So some of the color are not the same, and the hair was again very much experimental.

Also after initially posting up some WIP shots, and having a discussion with the client, I went forth and tried something new for the fists as well. Trying for a "Ice" fist look. Not sure if I pulled it off, but I think the extra color is what was missing on this army. Too bland!

You can see in a photo below also some very simple freehand on the shoulder markings. Although simple, I think they turned out ood, and I will attempt more in the future ( though maybe not on this army exactly ).





More posts to come..

Comments

  1. I think if you wanted to give the power fist an ice look there needed to be more white and less blue throughout the layers. However, the strong blues definitely gets across the 'power' in power fist, which a whiter colour wouldn't – good choice in the end I'd say, and really draws your eye.

    Great looking models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DT, and agreed. More white is needed, but I was looking at pure ice in glaciers and it had more blue in them the deeper you get. At any rate they look like they put the power in powerfist so win? And glad that they help draw the eye to their main weapon. Should help the client make people afraid of them, and forget they are also sporting Combi-Meltas!

      Delete
  2. I Like your power fists. But to increase the powerfull power of the power fists, you should use the power of the powerfull color blue. *bg* Well, when you paint a little bit light blue "shadows" on the armour right beneth the fists, you let them "shine" (OSL). They would be if they glow. And that is really great power within power fists... *bg*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, you would go there wouldn't you Taggi! OSL is a WIP for me, so didn't want to risk ruining a client's model with it just yet. Will have many more chances for that in the future!

      Delete
    2. alright, I am ashamed... sorry... perhaps a tut will help you a little bit:
      http://www.das-bemalforum.de/dynamics/showentry.php?e=16&catid=3
      yes, it is in german... but perhaps with the automatic google translator there is some sence:
      http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.das-bemalforum.de%2Fdynamics%2Fshowentry.php%3Fe%3D16%26catid%3D3

      Some day I will translate this... some day....

      Delete
    3. Will give it a look indeed. Also I am trying to do OSL, just not on client work.. check out my WIP for the Forsaker..

      http://mrleespaintingemporium.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/kingdom-of-death-wip-forsaker.html

      Thanks again for this Taggi!

      Delete
  3. Nice work like the blue on the powerfists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They definitely pack a punch! Love the additional colour to the unit Mr Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Was an experiment, and I liked trying to add some color to the unit indeed. Glad it looks good!

      Delete
  5. Your work (paint job) improved noticeable in the last weeks. Or you just make better photos :) The blendings on the powerfist seem pretty nice.
    BUT shame on you, there are moldlines visible on the backpacks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mold line, its a feature ;)
      And thanks.. I am hoping that the fact I am spending more time on the painting side is starting to show through. Am really trying to apply some of the theory that I got from the workshop, and other sources. Glad it shows!
      Cheers for that comment!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. I only pointed it out because the paintjob looks so good and these moldlines don't fit in. Typical german, we always have to find something :-)
      But I really like how you paint these huge amounts of models and in this quality. You're signature in BB really fits ;-)

      Delete
    3. Heh.. thanks Paradox0n.. thought it was appropriate ;)
      Though December will slow down a bit as I tackle some more artistic pieces instead of the masses..
      Oh and I still need to calculate how many models I have painted this year.. that should make for an interesting sight!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts